Blue Silver Translations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Blue Silver Translations

Forum for douluo dalu discussion

You are not connected. Please login or register

38 External Spirit Bone completed

+5
Gatts
David
imblad3
Inbetweenaction
Bagelson
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

138 External Spirit Bone completed Empty 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:08 am

Bagelson

Bagelson
Admin

No cliffhangers this time. Grandmaster properly explains what's going on with the legs.

And what's going on seems OP. Super armor piercing, super corrosion, and drain. Seems to me they're equivalent to an extra spirit ring.

EDIT: Second part is also out.

EDIT 2: Chapter complete

Last edited by Bagelson on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:30 am; edited 3 times in total

238 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Inbetweenaction

actually, he says they are better than a new spirit ring

338 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Bagelson

Bagelson
Admin

I think he says they're better than his current spirit ring. I mean they're as good as having another spirit ring, putting him on the level of a Spirit Ancestor.

438 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Inbetweenaction

seeing how they are ranked 2 on the wishlist, just under 100 000 year rings, it might take a while before he find a ring stronger than this. even if one of the mayor reasons why you would want it is because it doesn't take one of the usual spirit bone spots.

538 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Bagelson

Bagelson
Admin

Translation of 38_3 is done, just needs editing. I'd also like to have some feedback on a couple of points from Frausty before I release. But I'll get it out tomorrow morning regardless of whether he's had the time.

638 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:14 pm

imblad3

At first Grandmaster explain there is 8 slot does it include external one?
If not then how can it be only 6 for internal? four limbs, head and torso.

738 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:37 pm

David

David

No, I think you got wrong.
038_1 wrote:Tang San said:
"Then how should spirit bones be used? Your meaning is, these eight spider legs on my back are eight spirit bones?"

Hearing Tang San’s words, Grandmaster couldn't help but smile,
"Don’t be greedy. Let alone eight spirit bones, to be able to have one spirit bone is already extremely fortunate, to say nothing of yours still being an external spirit bone. Its value is practically comparable to first rate spirit bones. This spirit bone of yours is vertebra, of course, also related to eight ribs. Its effect is precisely storage for the toxin of that Man Faced Demon Spider you killed, furthermore duplicating its eight spider legs and afterwards integrating them with your your own capability, evolving into these present eight spider legs."

Tang San said:
“A person’s body has so many bones, if one could absorb that many kinds of spirit bones into oneself, wouldn’t it be countless changes……”

Grandmaster shook his head, saying:
"Although there are many bones in a person’s body, they are subdivided into a few larger sections. Therefore, generally speaking, one is also only able to absorb a few types of spirit bones: four limbs, head and torso. In other words, an ordinary person would be able to absorb six spirit bones, just like a Spirit Master is able to absorb nine spirit rings, the quality of spirit bones as well as effect on the Spirit Master, mainly depends on how early they’re absorbed and whether their properties are compatible."
It was Tang San's misinterpretation that the 8 legs were each a spirit bone and later that you could have as many spirit bones as there are in the human bone and then Grandmaster explains that the internal bones are only six.

838 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:50 pm

imblad3

I see, thanks for your explanation.

I know the Spirit Bones are rare and what happen if somehow someone manage to collect all six Spirit Bones from the same Spirit Beast, what would happen?

938 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Gatts

I agree, the spider legs seem OP. He can climb mountains easily(negate terrain), has new ways to attack, and the corrosion drain seems insane. Not only that, but the spirit bones apparently grow with the user, which means they'll never become "weak", whereas in a high level fight with title douluos their first two spirit rings would be more like their "jab" moves.

Now I wonder how other spirit bones are used and what kind of powers they give...Since Tang San's external spirit bone is apparently very rare and unique to the point even level 70 spirit masters didn't realize the spider legs were spirit bones. Do other spirit bones normally not appear outside the body, hence Tang San's spirit bone being termed an external spirit bone? Or is his termed an external spirit bone because it's not part of the 6 normal spirit bone catagory? Can't wait for more details.

1038 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:26 am

Krozam

Krozam

Gatts wrote:Do other spirit bones normally not appear outside the body, hence Tang San's spirit bone being termed an external spirit bone? Or is his termed an external spirit bone because it's not part of the 6 normal spirit bone catagory?
That's a good question. I think it's the latter, but who knows...

1138 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:31 am

Bagelson

Bagelson
Admin

Maybe it's more clever in Chinese, but Rongrong teasing Xiao Wu was quite funny.

1238 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:59 am

Krozam

Krozam

“A close couple hoping for love is I, your servant’s, wish for big bro and little sis.”

I can't make heads or tails of this sentence. I understand she's teasing Xiao Wu, but the sentence makes no sense. I understand you're trying to retain the special atmosphere with all this old-fashioned locution, but I think you go too far sometimes.

Also, can you explain the meaning of the "red envelope"?

So, Dai Mubai knew Zhu Zhuqing as a child, huh? That explains a few things and creates some new questions.

1338 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:20 am

Bagelson

Bagelson
Admin

Yeah, that sentence is one I'm not too sure of how to translate, since it uses very formal language and a bit of wordplay. Maybe it could be phrased as "I, your servant, hopes for a loving couple of big brother and little sis." That's why it comes with two footnotes just on the details.

A red envelope is money, often handed out as a gift during birthdays, holidays or weddings. Alternatively a bribe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope

1438 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:46 am

Krozam

Krozam

Why not just use "humbly"? "I humbly wish for big brother and little sister to become a loving couple." Although, we're already used to "I your father", so I suppose it doesn't matter so much, as long as the rest of the sentence is phrased understandably enough.

I think those footnotes only appear if you're reading in the editing mode. I usually read in the wieving mode, and I've never seen them.

BTW, sorry if I seem nitpicky, but as I said, I'm a half-professional translator, I tend to pay attention to these things.

1538 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:12 am

Bagelson

Bagelson
Admin

I'm trying to stick as close as possible the the RAW, which sometimes leads to less than fluent translation supplemented by footnotes. Whether that's the best method or not, it's one of my goals for the translation.

And it seems you're half right: the footnotes appear in viewing mode, but not in preview mode. Somewhat odd, since they appear everywhere else - even the linked versions posted to the blog. I can only recommend you open the documents to read them.

1638 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:21 am

Krozam

Krozam

I'll do that from now on. God knows how much I've missed so far... >_<

1738 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:16 am

Mobile Dark Subject

Mobile Dark Subject

Didn't Flender call Grandmaster Xiao Gang at breakfast? So Tang San heard his name first there, and heard his full name Yu Xiao Gang later during the assembly. Question

1838 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 am

David

David

imblad3 wrote:I see, thanks for your explanation.

I know the Spirit Bones are rare and what happen if somehow someone manage to collect all six Spirit Bones from the same Spirit Beast, what would happen?
Who knows? It's seems to be something so rare and random and there are so many different Spirit Beasts that I think the author probably won't even come up with this.

Gatts wrote:Now I wonder how other spirit bones are used and what kind of powers they give...Since Tang San's external spirit bone is apparently very rare and unique to the point even level 70 spirit masters didn't realize the spider legs were spirit bones. Do other spirit bones normally not appear outside the body, hence Tang San's spirit bone being termed an external spirit bone? Or is his termed an external spirit bone because it's not part of the 6 normal spirit bone catagory? Can't wait for more details.
Hey, you bring a good point. Maybe internal bones are a passive skill and external bones are a active skill?

Krozam wrote:Why not just use "humbly"? "I humbly wish for big brother and little sister to become a loving couple." Although, we're already used to "I your father", so I suppose it doesn't matter so much, as long as the rest of the sentence is phrased understandably enough.

I think those footnotes only appear if you're reading in the editing mode. I usually read in the viewing mode, and I've never seen them.

BTW, sorry if I seem nitpicky, but as I said, I'm a half-professional translator, I tend to pay attention to these things.
Well, I don't really mind it. I got the overall meaning of her sentence and kinda automatically rearranged it to make sense to me. I like the 'the more close to the raw the better the translation' approach, with footnotes if something is kinda complicated to get. It gives me a vibe of "oh, so that's how they express themselves" and "maybe this can be interpreted some other way". I think adaptations to make it easier to read aren't unwelcome but maybe some part that was removed/changed could have a connection to something ahead and we could miss it.

But that's just my personal opinion too. C:

PS:
Ah, I didn't know footnotes weren't shown on viewing, I just assumed they stopped after a certain chapter (I even got surprised when I was trying to spot changes on 038_2 in editing mode and saw them). I remember them on early chapters when I would open each one an individual tab, but then switched to viewing mode since I can't click to open in a new tab and it's kinda bothersome... this evil Google Drive!)

1938 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:55 am

imblad3

Nay, spirit bones should contain either active or passive whether they are internal or external, they're just the same spirit bones. It's just same spirit bones can grant different abilities to different spirit master.

2038 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:26 am

Krozam

Krozam

I don't mind retaining cultural elements from the original language, but only as long as it doesn't affect the fluidity of the text. As an example, the use of he word "Ge" is fine, as long as it's explained and used consistently, but emulating the original word order and ending up with something that sounds weird in English, it serves no purpose but to make the text harder to read and understand. It's a bit like the infamous "TL note: keikaku means plan."

Furthermore, one of the basic principles of good translation is taking into account your target audience. Anime and other Japanese works are getting so well known that most people are getting familiar with the culture, so it's fine to retain lots of cultural elements from the original language. By now, everybody knows what "onii-chan" and the "-san" honourific mean, the fansubbers no longer need to put TL notes explaining the basic stuff. It's different with Chinese works of fiction, and culture, most readers probably aren't terribly familiar with it yet. Therefore, a higher level of localisation compared to Japanese translations is called for.

Just to explain my stance...

2138 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:44 am

not_an_error

imblad3 wrote:Nay, spirit bones should contain either active or passive whether they are internal or external, they're just the same spirit bones. It's just same spirit bones can grant different abilities to different spirit master.

No, actually spirit bones should NOT give different effects to different spirit masters.
Grandmaster says Tang in the future will have to buy the bones most suitable to him,
if the bones change effects then how do one even know what ability he'll receive?

i believe bones should be considered rather than an upgrade in ability of the user like special wearable loot with fixed stats+ that can grow with the user

2238 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:17 am

TheVampirate

Admin

it would probably go extinct well before that, if you killed 10000 of the same spirit beast the odds are that you still wouldn't get the set and on top of it weak ones wont drop it so lets say its only found above 1k year spirits. If you hunted spirits for bones the odds are people would kill you to stop you from wiping out rings for the future spirit masters. The dragon Douluo was willing to kill tang over a single ring, how far do you think someone would get wiping out all the spirits in the forest before somone else noticed.

https://blue-silver.rpg-board.net

2338 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:49 pm

David

David

TheVampirate wrote:

it would probably go extinct well before that, if you killed 10000 of the same spirit beast the odds are that you still wouldn't get the set and on top of it weak ones wont drop it so lets say its only found above 1k year spirits. If you hunted spirits for bones the odds are people would kill you to stop you from wiping out rings for the future spirit masters.  The dragon Douluo was willing to kill tang over a single ring, how far do you think someone would get wiping out all the spirits in the forest before somone else noticed.
Wait, I was under the impression that you could only acquire a new* spirit bone when absorbing a ring. So each person can only have 9 tries at most (except for twin spirit users maybe?)

* Traded Spirit Bones were acquired when someone absorbed a ring, ofc.

2438 External Spirit Bone completed Empty Re: 38 External Spirit Bone completed Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 pm

imblad3

@not_an_error, Yes and No, some Spirit Abilities can fuse with spirit master's spirit and some abilities retain it's original function.
Ex: Imagine you get a spirit bone with repulsion abilities fuse with phoenix spirit abilities, and it become something else more powerful. (well to me it's different if their shape or function differently)

@TheVampirate, yes I do understand the spirit beast will go extinct but there are some special circumstance that makes Spirit Bone have 100% drop. IUKWIM.
And yeah that's somehow impossible but everything happens in Douluo continent, we don't know if there are or not.

@David, only if you want to get external spirit bone, you have to absorb the ring too.
If spirit master have a spirit bone, they can just absorb it anytime, anywhere, at any level.
The problem is just compatibility and effectiveness.

Last edited by imblad3 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit examples)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum